Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Black Santa

When talking about santa, the average child pictures a man in a big red suit, but in this case, santa was black. I was Santa. Upon my arrive and stay with Bishop I brought with me, many gifts for the children. Everything from, beauty accessories, to sports activity equipment, little children toys, and school supplies. Money is very hard to come for many people here, and once acquired, the priority of food comes before play.
Whenever my father, the Rev. Canon Milton Cole, goes somewhere, whether it be to someone's house for supper, or just to visit someone, he always brings gifts with him. The gifts that he gives are generally joyful reminders to the person receiving the gift that they are in his thoughts, and/or prayers. Growing up I could never comprehend the joy of giving rather than receiving. But when I walked into the Bishop's front room with arms full of toy truck, soccer balls and more presents, the faces of these children lite up and my heart felt warm. I now understand how my father feels, as he is always giving gifts and this is one of the many great traits I have picked up from him.
                                                    



5 comments:

  1. Hi George! I was so pleased to get your note in the mail with your blog address written on the back! I have become a 'follower' and will check in routinely to see what life is like in the southern Sudan. I plan to advertise you on my blog, as well! What an amazing adventure this year will be for you. Thank you for sharing it with us. You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi George! I just caught up on your adventures so far and am loving the updates. Can't wait to hear more about what is happening on the other side of the world. Love to you, the Bishop and his family from us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps you should title this the "Iowa's Son Santa"!
    It is so fun to follow your adventures. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. C'mon George. Black Santa? lol. I have to admit, it was hilarious. You're doing great things with your life and God's god a good plan for you. Hope we'll meet someday. I would like to know about all your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing a great job George - bringing joy into people's lives, teaching, inspiring them, and most of all bringing much needed hope to people who seem in such need of it. I've so enjoyed the blog and the photos and look forward to seeing and readng more on your new experiences and those of your new friends. Their new found freedom and your friendship are such blessings to them, I am sure. My name is Adelina and I am a much obliged friend of your father's. My husband and I have lived in the US since 1985 and it is by the grace of God and your father Milton that we are here. It is a long story, but a happy one, for which I will remain thankful always to your dad and other members of Trinity Episcopal Chruch in Portsmouth, VA. You seem to be following in your parents' foot steps, which is so wonderful to see. Blessings to you and all your new friends! I do hope to meet with you in person some day!

    ReplyDelete