Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Government of Southern Sudan Embassy Visit

Today I found myself at the Government Mission in Washington. The Mission is likened to a country's embassy, my father suggested that we visit this Southern Sudan Government Agency, not knowing what we would find. We initially spoke to a senior official. My father asked this gentleman if there was a Sudanese man in the Mission that had made his way to Washington from Arizona. My father recalled that prior to his February-March 2010 trip to the Sudan he had spoken with a man that fits this description. The senior official said that my father was referring to Enoch Daniel Awejok, the Protocol and Public Relations Officer. The senior official excused himself, only to quickly return to tell us that Enoch was in a meeting, but would like to speak with us. We waited for about 30minutes only to realize that the time on the parking meter was about to expire. I exited the building and ran down 6 long Washington blocks, pumped $3 into a parking meter for 2 extra hours and made my way back, to have Enoch walk in the room 5minutes after my return and invited us into his office. My father thanked him for his advice and help from a year ago. He inquired about my fathers trip, and they shared tid-bits about the Sudan. Enoch than turned to me and asked how he might be of help. I told him of my pending plans to study and work in the Sudan. His face lite up and he said this was amazing. Enoch showed me a copy of the proposed Constitution of the Southern Sudan. He was not able to give me a hard copy, however he was able to email me a copy. We talked about issues to be resolved prior to the July 9th 2011 birthdate of the new country. He asked about Bishop Peni and the Diocese of Nzara. Upon my questioning he indicated that he is a Presbyterian. He said he soon looks forward to traveling back to the Sudan. His closing statement to me was one that I will always remember. He said “George you are going to be apart of history” I look forward to living into Enoch's pronouncement.

No comments:

Post a Comment