Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My Southern Sudan Journey Reflection

In South Sudan I was there both as a teacher and a student- hopefully the former took place almost as often as the later- which was everyday. Being a teacher in Nzara has especially changed my life, as I have had the opportunity to teach, work and live side-by-side the villagers of Nzara. I have been able to endure living in immense poverty and survive with the same struggles and challenges as the Zande people and sometimes provide solutions or ways around living with such hardly bearable conditions.

Being a teacher in South Sudan has been a unique and rewarding experience in and of itself. My teaching escapade has been unique in the sense that I have not been a typical teacher, but rather a constant teacher. Whether it be a planned and structured teaching I have performed in the schools, or an organized activity I have taught the youth or even a spontaneous lesson under the stars, the limitless variety of lessons has been instrumental for me in learning more about the life-style and culture of Zande tribe.

I feel that my time was very very well spent as I learned more than I ever imagined about the people of South Sudan that were about to become free. I learned more than I ever imagined about a proud Zande tribe of 1000 years in age who's kingdom was the last to fall in 1905 with the murder of their King Gbudue during the colonization era. The separation by European imposed boarders resulting in Sudan, The Democratic Republic of Congo and the Central African Republic, and now results in the new nation of the Republic of South Sudan. Being a teacher/student at the start of this new nation has been monumental in my growth and development and has given me an awareness of the world that I never had prior to my South Sudan journey. Of equal importance and maybe of more importance I learned more about myself than I ever knew.
From living 18 years of my life, and receiving my education from schools in America, I have grasped the belief of what an ideal life is, by growing up in a family where we did not have to worry about food, water or shelter. Also by attending schools with fantastic reputations and educational systems that provide their students with resources to ensure their success, I had been naïve to the outside world. Since coming to South Sudan never have I appreciated life in America more, especially as I teach. Seeing the lack of resources, the impoverished environment and the dilapidated structures students are taught in is very depressing. In conversation with a local he said in the tribal language of PaZande, “I don't know why my son goes to school. If he stayed at home our family could make more money from our garden.” That being said, it isn't far off the spectrum to draw the conclusion that students seemingly have life stacked against them, as firstly they have no transportation of getting to school other than walking and often times the distances they travel are quite far. Then factoring in when the students reach school they are, more likely than not, taught by untrained teachers and that in and of itself is quite a disadvantage. Then the culminating factor is that the students have no resources such as text books, internet access or educated parents to help enhance their educational studies. As I reflect on these contemplations I feel a large amount of sympathy for the students who are victims of a post-war era, and within my teachings I have made an effort to extend every opportunity possible for my students to seek extra help. Because of the effort to go the extra mile, so to speak, I know my students have enjoyed every teaching I have performed in Nzara, South Sudan.

In correspondence with my father H. Milton Cole he shared a bit from the play Equus by Peter Shaffer. “On an ultimate scene I cannot know what I do in this place- yet I do ultimate things. Essentially I cannot know what I do- yet I do essential things.” I recalled that prior to my departure in May 2011, as I visited The South Sudan Mission in Washington D.C and being told by Enoch Deng, Chief Information Officer, “George you will be a part of history.” Also in recent conversations with Bishop Samuel, my teacher, my mentor, my colleague, my African father said, “George you came to Africa as an America lad, you will return to America as an African- American man!”

No comments:

Post a Comment